Why Choose Fish?
Omega 3 & 6 (Omega Oils)
Omega oils have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which therefore means they have several health benefits for dogs and cats. These fatty acids can be found in our treats which help with skin and coat condition, joint mobility, cognitive function and also cardiac health.
- Omega 3 – Omega 3 is a group of three main polyunsaturated fatty acids. They are ALA (alpha-linolenic acid), EPA (eicosapentanoic acid) and DHA (docosahexanoic acid).
- Omega 3 ALA helps to keep dogs’ coats in good condition and supports the outer coat hairs, providing waterproofing and protection from the elements.
- Omega 3 EPA has a calming effect on pets’ skin, helping to ease itching & scratching as well as joint mobility. EPA can also help protect the heart and blood vessels from disease.
- Omega 3 DHA helps with cognitive function and joint mobility. DHA, like EPA can also help protect the heart and blood vessels from disease.
- Omega 6 – Omega 6 is also a polyunsaturated fatty acid. There are 3 main groups but only two are used, they are GLA (gamma-linoleic acid), LA (linoleic acid). LA can’t be made by the body, so it needs to be included in the diet. GLA is formed by the conversion of LA.
- Omega 6 – LA is the main component of the skin’s moisture barrier and supports the skin’s natural defences. For both dogs and cats, it can help to stop the skin from drying out, so it can reduce moulting and dandruff. It can also help your dog maintain a barrier against the allergens that cause itching.
One of the common causes of skin conditions in dogs, are allergies or sensitivities to foods. Wheat and beef are the most common intolerances, with others being chicken and maize as well as a few others. Sea Treats is made from 100% natural ingredients, that do not cause these problems. In Sea Treats, we use potato as the carbohydrate.
Many skin conditions in dogs are caused by inflammation. As stated in the Omega 3 & 6 section, we have already highlighted that the EPA & DHA which make up Omega 3 found in Sea Treats are naturally anti-inflammatory, helping to improve the condition of the skin from its calming effect and improving the condition of the coat too. Alongside Omega 6 which helps to stop the skin from drying out.
Your fatty fish, like salmon, contain higher levels of omega 3 which we have established provide fatty acids which aid skin and coat. If omega 6 is high in concentration than omega 3 it will saturate the receptors to stimulate the hormones to produce more sebum. Sebum is an oily wax that lubricates. So therefore, with increased levels of sebum, the skin will become more supple and hydrated and provides the coat with a protective oily layer, which gives your dog the shine. We hear this a lot from our customers, that they are amazed at how noticeably healthy, shiny and glossy their dog’s coats look, within just a few weeks of using our products.
Joints & Mobility
Oily fish provides a dietary fat that is enriched with essential fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6, a type of carboxylic acids that are proficient at reducing inflammation in the body. Sea Treats can help improve some joint conditions in dogs. Joint conditions are particularly common in older dogs. The older dogs get, the more susceptible to joint problems they become. The Omega 3 & 6 found in Sea Treats can help improve some joint conditions and reduce the risk of developing issues in dogs through, reducing joint inflammation and cartilage breakdown.
- Joint Inflammation – Oily fish provide a dietary fat which is enriched with the essential fatty acids; Omega 3 & 6. The EPA and DHA found in omega 3 can help alleviate the symptoms of joint pain by reducing joint inflammation. This is one of the greatest benefits of allowing a healthy amount of essential fatty acids through natural sources like fish.
- Cartilage Breakdown – Fish is a source of protein which contain amino acids. Amino acids help to regulate hormones, build muscles, fix tissue in tendons, ligaments, cartilages. A constant stream of high quality, high amount of protein and amino acids can be seen as a possible preventative measure for future joint and arthritis problems in dogs.
Just like humans, pets can suffer if they are overweight or obese. Pet obesity can lead to a number of health issues like arthritis, heart disease, diabetes and other mobility problems, so it’s important to keep your pet’s weight in check.
Here at Sea Treats, we know that we all like to treat our pets, but we do need to take care of daily food consumption, including treats. Not only do we provide tasty treats but also treats that will aid you in managing your dogs weight.
Our Whitefish Jerky range provide you with an array of products that are low in calories and suitable for all sizes. The Whitefish Jerky is 100% natural and only contains 100% Whitefish Skins in which have been cooked.
Fish is an easy digestible protein source for dogs. It is especially good for dogs who have or had digestive upsets, liver or kidney disease. Fish is relatively low in saturated fat and lower in calories making it good for weight control.
Fish also contain a great source of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, selenium, zinc, phosphorous, iodine and iron. Minerals are inorganic substances that are absorbed more efficiently by the body if it is supplied in food, rather than supplements.
These minerals, alongside the vitamins, essential fats, sugars and proteins, are what ensure your pet needs to stay healthy.
As fish is easily digestible, it is great for older dogs or dogs with intolerances or sensitivities. Our Sea Treats are great, as they are free from any of those ingredients that could cause problems. Foods that contain a protein source, not commonly used in dog foods, or treats, such as fish, increase the likelihood that the dog has not been exposed to that protein source before. Therefore, this means that the protein is not recognised as an allergen by the dog’s body. So, by feeding fish, you minimise the chance of an allergic reaction.
Growth & Development
As your dog grows, it will go through many significant changes:
- Brain and Eye Development
- Bone and Joint Development
- Digestive System
At this important time of your dog’s life. It is important that you support your dog during the first 2 to 3 months through the correct nutrition as this plays a huge role in determining the health of your dog later on in life. In this crucial time, millions of nerve pathways are formed and extended as well as bones and muscles growing and strengthening. In order to support this happening, you need Protein.
Protein plays a big part in growth and development. The amino acids found in protein are responsible for some of the processed in the dog’s body, including digestion and maintaining a smooth workflow. Within each cell in the body, it contains protein, these are the foundations of tissues and cells. They can be found in muscle, skin, organs, and glands. Protein is the most important macronutrient in a dog’s diet.
Fish has many reasons as to why it can be beneficial to puppies growing:
- Fish is a great source of protein which has a balance of amino acids. Some sources of protein have imbalances which require the liver and kidneys to work harder in order to excrete any unnecessary acids.
- Fish is also easily digestible. This enables the digestive system to efficiently break down the protein so that the body can thrive on the goodness.
- The Omega 3 found in fish also has benefits associated with development. One of the polyunsaturated fatty acids, DHA (docosahexanoic acid) plays a major role in the formation of brain cell membranes. Whilst also forming the tissue in which is needed to convert light into energy.
- Fish also contains Phosphorous and a small amount of calcium. These minerals are important for healthy bones and teeth. Making fish suited to aiding bone growth and development as it can be easily absorbed.
As puppies, there is a lot of learning that needs to be done and nothing helps you to learn than receiving a tasty treat. Our Sea Treats are 100% natural, so there are no unpleasantries and our main ingredient is fish. The Whitefish Jerky is perfect as a little reward and are suited for puppies over 14 weeks. These also have the benefit of keeping your dog’s teeth clean as well as the benefit of being low in calories.
We also have the perfect training treats in the form of our Training Tiddlers. Take a look at the treats we suggest for your little Sea Dogs.
Grains are a type of carbohydrate used in dog food and treats to provide energy as well as hold ingredients together.
Here at Sea Treats, we do not use grains, we use potato as a carbohydrate and to hold some of our treats together. This allows dogs with sensitivities and allergies to enjoy their treats like everyone else, as well as providing them with energy as well as the other benefits of feeding fish.
Intolerances and sensitivity to wheat and grains in dogs are becoming more common, so ensuring treats are wheat and grain free is just as important as their daily food. With Sea Treats, we clearly state whether a treat is grain or wheat free. Therefore, allowing you to happily treat your dog to some tasty treats knowing that they will not suffer with any affects they may get if they have had grains.
Feeding your dog dried fish skins is a great way to maintain dental hygiene. The natural, rough texture helps to remove the tartar and plaque which can build up on your dog’s teeth. By removing the tartar and plaque you are helping to maintain dental and gum health as well as fresher breath.
Gum diseases often occur in dogs due to the lack of brushing. The most common cause of gum disease is bacteria. Bacteria combines with the dogs’ saliva to form plaque, which then sits as a coating on your dogs’ teeth. Plaque is often soft and is easily removed through brushing or even chewing.
If tartar is left for too long it can lead to gingivitis which is a bacterial infection which causes inflammation of the gums, around the base of the teeth which is an early stage of periodontal disease. Over time, if left untreated, the tartar builds under the gums and causes them to separate from the teeth. This then allows bacteria to grow in these spaces and the disease becomes irreversible, resulting in bone and tissue loss and also teeth falling out. This can then develop more health problems and complications.
Chewing is a great way to promote dental care as they must use their pre – molars and molars to break down the chews. Our Whitefish Jerky and Salmon Jerky products are perfect for this and come in a wide range of shapes and sizes for all breeds. These products are made 100% from dried fish skins and 100% natural so that they maintain the hard, rough texture whilst remaining fresh and tasting great.
Puppies can also benefit from chewing these treats, as they relieve their gums while teething, whilst also strengthening their jaws ready to develop their adult teeth. It also saves you on having to replace objects around the house that they may use instead when they are teething.
Sea Treats are a great tool to keep your dogs’ teeth and gums healthy. Your dog won’t even know that they are looking after their teeth and gums.